Chapter 5: Weird Science
151 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


Two weeks later…

 

Edith sat at her desk and stared at her monitor, her attention divided between the charts displayed on the screen and the video of Fii running on the treadmill while hooked onto a portable EKG machine. The young woman was covered in sweat, and her heart rate was elevated, but her vitals were stable.

They had been testing Fii's endurance for the past two hours, and while she was far from done, she showed remarkable stamina and resilience for her age—even without taking into account the enhanced endurance conferred by her metahuman state.

She reached for the mug on her desk and took a sip of coffee, grimacing as the lukewarm liquid touched her lips. Yuck. It was cold.

A sharp pain shot through her leg as she moved, and she winced, cursing under her breath. The bullet wound in her thigh was still healing, and she'd been pushing herself too much, even though she wasn't supposed to. She shifted in her seat, trying to ease the stiffness in her muscles.

Damn bullets. Damn gangs. Damn slums!

She hated this place. This stinking, filthy, rat-infested hellhole. No amount of bleach could make the air smell any less foul, or the floorboards any less sticky. The noises didn't bother her, as she rarely slept much in the first place, but she'd have to double-check the walls and ceiling for cockroaches tonight.

"Sheri," she called over the intercom. "Another cup of coffee, please." She let out a loud, exaggerated groan, hoping that the other woman would get the message. "My brain feels like mush without caffeine, and I can't concentrate."

There was a pause, then a muffled sigh came from the other end. "Sure, just give me a minute. I'm preparing the next dose for the patient." The line clicked off, and Edith returned to staring at her screen.

As much as she despised the slums, she'd grown to appreciate the lack of bureaucracy. The rules were simple: Pay up and keep quiet. The cost of living was significantly cheaper, and she didn't have to deal with the constant stream of red tape and political nonsense that bogged her work down in the metropolis. Besides, the anonymity afforded by her current lifestyle meant that she could conduct her research with relative freedom, unencumbered by the pesky moral constraints that limited her before.

So long as she stayed below the radar, no one would be the wiser. Or care. Sure, she would probably never receive funding from the government or private industry, but she'd made her peace with that. She had enough saved up, and the...confiscated assets from her former employers provided her with plenty of capital to cover her expenses for the next few years.

"Here you go." Sheri placed a steaming mug on the desk beside her, startling her from her musings. The scent of freshly brewed coffee filled the room, and Edith breathed it in, savoring the aroma.

"Ahhhh, that's better." She smiled, inhaling deeply and closing her eyes. "Thanks, Sheri." She picked up the mug and took a careful sip, relishing the warm, bitter taste. "By the way, have you given any more thought to my proposal? About taking over for me after my inevitable untimely death?" Edith opened her eyes and turned to face the other woman, fixing her with an expectant look.

Sheri frowned, folding her arms across her chest. "Edith, you've already made it very clear that you're not dying anytime soon," she replied, raising her brow skeptically. "You said so yourself. In fact, I'd say you're the picture of health, despite your injuries." She gestured at Edith's leg.

"Please, Sheri. It's only a matter of time before one of those lowlifes puts a bullet in my head. I mean, look at what happened this week." Edith leaned forward, resting her elbows on the desk. "Those punks almost killed me. Hell, I'm lucky to be alive! So, with that in mind, wouldn't you agree that I should make arrangements for the future, just in case?"

Sheri shook her head, sighing heavily. "Alright, Edith. Fine. If—if—something happens to you, and I'm available, I'll take over. Happy?"

"Deliriously." Edith grinned, winking at Sheri. "I knew I could count on you."

Sheri rolled her eyes, turning to leave. "If there's nothing else, I'm going to get back to work." She paused, glancing back over her shoulder. "Are you sure you don't want any painkillers? Your leg must be killing you." She indicated the injured limb, which Edith was still absentmindedly rubbing.

"Nah, I'm fine." Edith dismissed her concerns by raising her mug. "This is my painkiller. Nothing's stronger than a nice, hot cup of joe, you know?" She brought the cup to her lips and took another sip. "Mmmm. Pure bliss," she moaned, smacking her lips.

Sheri gave her one last disapproving look before leaving the room. "Fine, but if you need anything, don't hesitate to call me."

"Will do," Edith said, waving her off. As the door closed, she spun around in her chair, staring at the monitors on the opposite wall. Fii was still jogging on the treadmill, looking bored out of her mind.

Edith tapped a few keys on the keyboard, switching between different camera angles to view Fii's physiology from different perspectives. She zoomed in on the subject's legs, focusing on the muscle groups. It was remarkable how well the metahuman mutation had taken hold. Muscular hypertrophy and hyperplasia, bone density augmentation, increased endurance, cellular regeneration; everything appeared to be functioning optimally.

Fii's skeletal structure and ligamentous attachments were adapted to withstand far more force and strain. Even her skin tone had improved, losing its unhealthy pallor and acquiring a more youthful glow. Overall, she appeared to be in excellent physical condition, a far cry from the frail figure raised in the slums.

If she compared Fii's stats to other metahumans in the metropolis database, she was easily in the top five percent—enough to get her scouted by the Ultimate Guardians.

"Fascinating," Edith muttered, leaning closer to the monitor. Her eyes darted across the screen, tracing Fii's movements, mentally juxtaposing the current observations with data amassed during the prior weeks.

Helix's voice echoed in Edith's ear, the robotic cadence given a hint of curiosity by the speaker's design.

[Results from the most recent blood test confirmed no abnormalities with white or red blood cell counts. Bone density remains above average for a metahuman. Vitamin B12 and C levels are within standard parameters. Thyroid function is normal, and cortisol levels are within expected ranges. Glucose tolerance test negative. Neurotransmitter levels—serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine, and epinephrine levels are within normal range.]

Helix continued.

[The report of her metabolic parameters are as follows: Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is registering at 2,800 kilocalories per day, which is approximately 60% above the average for females of her age and build under normal conditions. This elevated BMR is consistent with her enhanced physiology.]

A graphical representation of energy consumption appeared on a nearby screen, displaying fluctuations in Fii's energy use throughout the day.

[Furthermore, her Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) is also significantly elevated. When combined with the physical activity multiplier, her Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) approximates 4,500 kilocalories. This is suggestive of her body's increased energy demands due to her enhanced strength, speed, and gravikinetic abilities.]

Helix continued.

[The body's fuel source distribution has also shifted. Typically, under resting conditions, the human body utilizes carbohydrates and fats predominantly. In Fii's case, her body demonstrates a more efficient fat metabolism, possibly to support prolonged energy demands without rapid depletion of glycogen stores.

Recommendation: Ensure a caloric intake that matches the TDEE to maintain optimal physiological function. Special attention to macronutrient distribution can further optimize her performance.]

"Thank you, Helix," Edith murmured, stroking her chin thoughtfully. "What about the EEG data?" she asked, glancing at the numbers flashing on the screen. "Have there been any significant changes in her brain wave patterns?"

[According to the results of the electroencephalogram, Fii's brain displays a notable increase in gamma wave intensity. This is often indicative of enhanced cognitive processing and heightened awareness. Furthermore, while theta waves typically indicate states of relaxation or light sleep, her readings suggest an active presence of these waves even in her awakened state. This unusual pattern might hint at her ability to tap into deep relaxation or meditation-like states while still being fully alert. It's akin to her brain accessing multiple modes of consciousness simultaneously.]

Helix continued.

[Delta wave activity, typically associated with deep sleep, shows a reduction. This suggests that her sleep patterns or the depth of sleep might have been altered post-mutation. Interestingly, the correlation between her distinct theta wave activity and her Gravikinetic abilities implies her brain might be adapting or evolving, capitalizing on the aspects of neuroplasticity induced by the mutation.]

"So, in simpler terms for those of us not plugged into a database?" Edith prompted, furrowing her brow.

She drummed her fingers impatiently against her desk, eager for more information but she always found the AI's clinical explanations overly convoluted and hard to digest, which tended to frustrate her. She preferred a more straightforward approach.

[To put it simply, Fii's brain is operating on multiple enhanced levels. She's processing information at an accelerated rate, possibly accessing deep wells of creativity and intuition while awake, and her sleep patterns may have evolved. These changes might be directly related to, or perhaps even a side effect of, her Gravikinetic abilities. Her brain is reshaping itself, adapting to her new state, in what can be termed as accelerated neuroplasticity.]

Edith nodded slowly, taking in the information. "Fascinating...simply fascinating."

She glanced at Fii on the screen, noticing that the girl had finished her workout and was now lounging around in the lobby area. "Do we have anything else to add to our latest batch of data?" Edith asked.

[Regarding her ability to manipulate gravity, her level of control continues to improve at a geometric progression. It has now reached the point where she can independently regulate her body's personal gravitational field, effectively altering the perceived weight of her own body.]

Edith swiveled in her high-backed chair and looked through the frost-streaked glass of the door separating her office from the room containing the supercomputer. The room was dimly lit and filled with the pleasant hum of cooling apparatuses. A series of blinking lights and panels glowed in the gloom, illuminating the otherwise dark space.

She had paid a hefty sum to acquire this supercomputer. Helix was paramount to her research and was designed to operate autonomously, without a need for user interaction, and possessed specialized capabilities to analyze and synthesize vast amounts of data.

The only downside was that the supercomputer was a last-generation model, and its oversized frame seemed outdated and comically obsolete in the context of modern technology. Not to mention, it required a great deal of maintenance, which proved to be a headache. If she ever had to relocate again, she'd be in trouble. Fortunately, though, they hadn't had to move, thanks to Sheri's connections in the neighborhood.

She leaned back in her chair, rubbing her temples. "Helix, explain to me how she's becoming more proficient with her Gravikinesis, but she still can't solve basic algebraic equations."

[Her gravikinetic abilities seem instinctual, but refining her control might benefit from understanding the mathematics of gravitational forces. The challenge lies in making these abstract concepts resonate with her.]

"Which means...what, exactly?"

Helix's reply was immediate.

[If you put her in an environment where understanding the force equations directly enhanced her gravikinesis, she might grasp the subject more readily, improving both areas simultaneously.]

Edith smirked. "So, what you're saying is we should drop her from a great height and tell her she can only save herself if she understands Newton's law of universal gravitation?"

Helix seemed to ponder this.

[Well, from a purely scientific viewpoint, that would be an interesting experiment. But from an ethical standpoint…]

"You're programmed for ethics now, are you?" Edith interrupted.

Helix replied dryly.

[As much as I'm programmed for humor. Though I could provide the gravitational calculations necessary for Fii to levitate safely if you really want to pursue the test.]

"Let's keep that as plan Z." Edith waved her hand dismissively, laughing.

Helix's voice became softer.

[What I was implying, Dr. Edith, is that we should focus on making learning…fun, for her.]

"Fun, huh? I'll see what I can do," Edith muttered, rising from her chair and hobbling over to the cabinet where she stored her drugs. She rummaged through the rows of vials before locating the ampoule with her name scrawled on it in block letters. Pulling it out, she stared at it for a moment before uncorking it and swallowing its contents.

The bitter, chemical taste made her shudder. She winced, forcing herself to swallow the awful stuff. She felt a rush of energy course through her as the medication kicked in, and her muscles relaxed as the pain in her leg subsided.

As she limped over to the sink in the corner of the room, she noted Fii's progress on another monitor. The young woman was engaged in a series of calisthenics—a regimen designed to strengthen her body—and seemed to be making good progress.

"Alright, let's shelve the algebra lessons for now. What's the latest on her gravikinetic training? Is she still having trouble with vertical lifts?" she asked, taking another sip from her mug.

[Yes, her success rates with generating vertical gravitational vectors remain inconsistent. This issue manifests as a delay in ramping up her gravitational field to the desired strength and direction.]

The computer screen displayed several graphs illustrating the results of Fii's practice sessions.

[Her proficiency mainly lies in the horizontal plane, although she occasionally manages to create upward gravity fields of sufficient magnitude to counteract her inertia.]

The graphs displayed a rapidly declining slope, indicating that the odds of succeeding diminished as the angle approached ninety degrees.

Edith studied the graphs, frowning. "Well, that's not unexpected, all things considered. She's still learning how to control her power. And while her progress is remarkable, there are bound to be a few roadblocks along the way. The important thing is that we're moving forward and making progress, and she seems eager to learn and improve."

Figuring out exactly how a metahuman power worked had always been a herculean task, requiring extensive studies, analyses, and simulations. A power like gravity manipulation was more complex than any other metahuman power ever recorded, aside from the few that were deemed too 'otherwordly', which meant that she had no prior research to draw from.

It was like working in uncharted waters, and she wasn't sure which direction to swim. But between her and Helix's efforts, they had managed to develop a rough framework for how Fii's power worked.

Each time Fii activated her gravikinesis, she was essentially producing a localized gravitational field. This field could be manipulated to either work against Earth's gravity, giving her lift, or in tandem with it, anchoring her more firmly. At least, that was their initial assessment. But not every superpower could be explained entirely by science.

"Hmm, I see." Edith frowned. "To expedite her activation process, we could anchor specific gravitational effects to trigger words. This association would reduce the mental computation required for commonly used gravitational manipulations." Edith mused aloud.

Helix processed the suggestion, formulating a response.

[A keyword activation might be beneficial. Pairing it with a reflexive reaction to produce the desired gravitational effect would be similar to how a reflex test works. I could run simulations modeling gravitational fields. These would provide Fii with visual feedback, allowing her to better predict and understand the outcomes of her gravikinetic actions.]

Edith tapped her fingers on the desk thoughtfully, her gaze shifting to a set of monitor feeds displaying Fii in various training exercises. In one clip, Fii was shown attempting to lift a heavy steel beam. The beam wavered, rising a few centimeters off the ground, before suddenly crashing down. In another clip, Fii was holding a glass sphere, which started levitating between her palms before gently floating back down.

"Helix, show me the data on Fii's interactions with external objects. Is her ability limited only to her personal gravity, or can she extend this to items she's in contact with?"

[Initiating review.]

The screen's display was adjusted to showcase a series of graphs and charts.

[During our latest tests, Fii has demonstrated the capability to extend her gravitational field to encompass objects she directly touches. This extension is currently limited by her concentration, the object's mass, and proximity. The further away the object is from her body, the less control she seems to have.]

Edith leaned in, inspecting a graph detailing Fii's heart rate and concentration levels against her ability to lift different weighted objects. "So, if I'm understanding correctly, she can make things she touches lighter or heavier based on how she manipulates her own personal gravity?"

[Correct. She essentially shares her gravitational field with the object, either augmenting or countering Earth's gravity as she desires. It's akin to two magnets influencing one another. As she strengthens her connection with the object, she can extend her influence over it.]

Edith pondered this for a moment. "That could be tremendously advantageous in the field. Imagine her being able to lift heavy debris or prevent a collapsing structure. Or on the other side of the spectrum, she could make something so heavy that it becomes immovable. A sort of dynamic anchor."

[Indeed, the applications are diverse. But there are limitations. Fii's grasp on objects seems to be temporary. Once she releases them, her influence diminishes rapidly if the object goes beyond the area of her gravitational field. Outside of the field, objects return to their normal state within moments.]

Helix then played a clip where Fii was seen lifting a series of kettlebells. Each time she tossed them away, the weights instantly crashed to the ground.

[As you can see, her influence doesn't linger.]

Edith sighed. "We'll need to find ways to extend that duration. If she's to use this in real-life scenarios, we can't have things crashing down unexpectedly. It could be catastrophic."

[She's still refining her abilities, Dr. Edith. We've noticed a gradual increase in the time objects remain influenced post-contact within her gravity field. It's conceivable that with training and increased neural connection strength, she can maintain her influence for extended periods even after letting go.]

A thought occurred to Edith. "I saw her throw a grown man around using only one arm not that long ago. That means her influence over objects she touches extends to biological organisms too."

[Gravity does not differentiate between organic and non-organic material, so the answer is yes. She can share her gravitational field with other people.]

"Oh, you're going to love this." Edith rubbed her hands together mischievously, grinning from ear to ear. "I just got an idea for a little...experiment." She reached for the intercom and pressed a button. "Sheri, please join me in my office. I have a special project in mind, and I need your assistance."

She let go of the button and chuckled, turning her attention back to the monitor. "You're in for a treat, Helix."

Helix spoke up.

[I'm still waiting for Plan Z, Dr. Edith. Shall I order a parachute?]


9