Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 299. Anomaly IV
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 299. Anomaly IV

Once Cley departed with his message, Angel's gaze returned to Lady Belle, who was still perched on the balcony. Their eyes met across the distance. Lady Belle acknowledged him with a tentative nod, her lips curling into a sweet, somewhat uncertain smile. It was perhaps the first time she had seen Angel give her such undivided attention, and the intensity of his gaze was palpable.

Responding with a slight nod of his own, Angel sheathed his sword, the metal sliding with a soft clink back into its scabbard. He then turned and made his way towards the castle, his steps hastening as he crossed the training ground.

Once he approached the castle entrance, several servants promptly fell into step around him, anticipating his needs with the practiced ease of those accustomed to his routine. One servant stepped forward with a towel, which Angel accepted, dabbing at the sweat on his forehead and neck.

Another servant approached, offering him a drink and a bowl of fresh fruit, typical refreshments that were kept ready for him. Angel took the glass, drinking deeply to quench his thirst, then plucked a single grape from the bowl, popping it into his mouth with a thoughtful expression.

After a moment's pause to gather himself, Angel took his blazer from the hands of another waiting servant. He slipped it on, the fabric settling comfortably on his shoulders, transforming his appearance from that of a warrior fresh from training to a composed monarch.

Angel continued his steady pace through the grand corridors of the castle, the entourage of servants diligently trailed behind him. However, Angel subtly raised his hand—a silent, clear gesture indicating that he wished to proceed alone. Understanding the signal, the servants halted in their tracks and bowed respectfully, allowing him to pass without further accompaniment.

Veering from the expected path to the parlor room, Angel took a decisive turn towards a lesser-used corridor that led to the castle’s treasure vault.

Once he approached the vault, the soldiers stationed at its entrance snapped to attention, surprised by his unannounced visit. They bowed deeply as he passed. Angel acknowledged their salutes with a brief nod, his expression composed and inscrutable.

Upon reaching the vault door, Angel stood before it and extended his hand forward, using his dark power to activate the security mechanisms. Infused with dark power, the lock recognized its master and silently disengaged, allowing him entry. The heavy door swung open with a low creak, revealing the dimly lit interior.

Angel stepped deeper into the room, his eyes took in the remarkable variety of treasures. There were shimmering pieces of jewelry encrusted with rare gems, their colors vibrant under the soft glow of the torchlight. Alongside these were antiques of immense historical value: ornate weapons that had once belonged to legendary warriors, ceremonial armors inlaid with gold, and ancient scrolls sealed with the royal crests of fallen kingdoms.

The items were not only from Euphorion but also from other kingdoms, trophies of war, gifts of alliance, and acquisitions from diplomatic marriages. Most of each piece told a story of power, intrigue, and the complex web of relationships that defined the history of the realm.

Angel moved methodically through the vault, his mind focused on finding a piece of jewelry that matched the bracelet Lady Belle wore in value. His eyes scanned the collections, pausing to consider a particularly stunning necklace featuring an opal surrounded by gold and pearl.

It was from Euphorion, not acquired from another kingdom. Unlike many of the artifacts and jewelry that bore rich histories or had adorned the necks of queens and high nobles, this necklace held no such prestigious background. Instead, it was a piece confiscated during the reign of the late King Xenos, taken from the opulent mansion of a wealthy merchant who had fallen out of favor. This lack of historical attachment made it a suitable item for Angel to use in his delicate negotiation with Lady Belle.

Angel decided that this necklace could serve as an appropriate exchange should he need to take Lady Belle's bracelet for further examination. He lifted the necklace from its display, placing it inside a small, plush-lined box. He then slipped the box into the pocket of his blazer, ensuring it was secure and unnoticeable. 

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

1