Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 295. In The Shadow
70 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 295. In The Shadow

Claire let out a sigh of relief, her shoulders relaxing as the tension ebbed away. Angel's response had alleviated some of the worries that had been gnawing at her mind.

"You look relieved. Don't you hate Asteria?" Angel's question cut through the air, his tone tinged with curiosity as he sought to understand Claire's emotions.

Claire managed a small smile, though it held a hint of bitterness. "No, not anymore. I did feel anger and sorrow, especially when I thought about what happened to my hometown. But I've come to realize that vengeance isn't the answer," she admitted, her voice laced with a somber tone.

She paused, collecting her thoughts before continuing in a more contemplative manner. "If the late King Xenos were still alive and it was Euphorion that had attacked Asteria first... Perhaps the Asterians would view us as the villains, unaware of the true perpetrator behind their suffering. It's a cycle of injustice perpetuated by one man's crimes, and it's unfair that we should bear the consequences of his actions," she explained, her words carrying the weight of past grievances.

Claire's gaze drifted into the distance, lost in the memories that haunted her thoughts. The pain of losing her parents during King Xenos's reign resurfaced, a raw ache that still lingered despite the passage of time. She could feel the heaviness of those memories pressing upon her, reminding her of the enduring scars left by the past.

Angel's smile widened at Claire's insightful words, a glimmer of admiration shining in his eyes. "You are very wise, Claire," he complimented her, acknowledging her depth of understanding.

Meanwhile, Cley, who had been following the conversation closely, let out a heavy sigh, his frustration palpable. "But it still doesn't feel right, does it? Someone should be held accountable for all the suffering," he voiced his discontent, his brows furrowed with lingering unease.

Angel tilted his head slightly, considering Cley's words before responding. "You're referring to Prince Ilex, aren't you?" he inquired, his tone calm yet probing. He reminded Cley of the prince's demise, a subtle reminder of the finality of his actions.

Cley's expression darkened as he recalled the circumstances surrounding Prince Ilex's death. "Yes, but he took his own life, didn't he?" Cley retorted, his disappointment evident as he grappled with his feelings of injustice.

Angel's lips curved into a knowing smirk, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes. He didn't offer a direct response to Cley's statement, instead allowing the implication to linger in the air. It was a subtle acknowledgment of the complexity of the situation, leaving Cley to ponder the deeper implications on his own.

In the silence that followed, Cley's thoughts swirled with uncertainty and lingering questions. ‘Wait... did he kill the prince?’ The thought raced through Cley's mind like a bolt of lightning, igniting a whirlwind of uncertainty and disbelief. His gaze fixated on Angel, searching for any trace of confirmation or denial in the king's inscrutable expression. His heart pounded in his chest, each beat echoing the tumultuous storm of emotions swirling within him.

Claire intervened, her touch jolting him back to the present moment. Her words cut through the tension, her practicality offering a stark contrast to Cley's spiraling thoughts. "It's no use talking about dead people. Let's get back to work, Cley. You talk too much," she chided him, her tone a mixture of annoyance and concern.

Cley nodded meekly in response, his mind still reeling from the revelation. "Y-Yes," he stuttered, his voice barely above a whisper. With a heavy heart, he reluctantly turned his attention back to his work, attempting to push aside the unsettling questions that continued to plague him.

Meanwhile, Angel resumed his tasks, his demeanor betraying nothing of the internal turmoil brewing beneath the surface. But Cley couldn't tear his gaze away, his eyes drawn back to the king like a moth to a flame. ‘So he did it in the shadows again. But why does he always do that when he can do it in front of all of them?’ Cley pondered silently, his thoughts swirling with suspicion and intrigue.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

2