Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 288. The Duke’s Opinions II
80 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 288. The Duke's Opinions II

“Mind sharing your thoughts with us?” one of the nobles prodded, voicing the collective curiosity of the group. They leaned forward attentively, eager to hear the duke's perspective.

The duke released a weary sigh. “I'll offer you my insights, but remember, these are merely my own interpretations. You're welcome to challenge or refute them,” he cautioned, ensuring clarity and open-mindedness in their discussion. His gaze swept over his fellow nobles, gauging their readiness to engage in meaningful discourse.

With nods of agreement from the assembled nobles, the duke proceeded to share his thoughts, his tone measured and thoughtful.

"About Princess Rose," the duke began, his voice carrying a hint of reluctance. "Even though I still prefer the traditional culture that the queen must come from Euphorion, I can't deny that what the king said was true," he admitted, his words tinged with a heavy heart. He paused, a conflicted expression crossing his features as he grappled with the weight of his decision.

"Also, there are no written regulations about this. I can't say anything," he continued, shaking his head ruefully. "For Princess Rose's case, even though it is difficult for me, I can only agree with the king. I can't raise any objections about this," he stated, his tone resigned yet thoughtful.

The other nobles nodded in silent agreement. Though each held their own reservations, they found themselves compelled to align with the duke's sentiment. It was a matter of pragmatism and political reality — while they may have preferred a queen from Euphorion, they couldn't ignore the undeniable strengths and qualifications that Princess Rose possessed.

In the quiet murmurs that followed, the nobles exchanged glances, their expressions reflecting a mixture of understanding and acceptance. They had hoped the duke might uncover a loophole or raise a critical objection that could prompt a reassessment of Angel's decision. However, it seemed that even the astute duke couldn't find fault with Angel's rationale for choosing Rose as queen.

Despite their initial skepticism, the nobles couldn't deny the logic behind Angel's decision. Rose's lineage, abilities, and fighting skills were undeniable factors that made her a compelling candidate for queen, even if it deviated from tradition.

"What about the Kingdom of Asteria?" asked another noble, curiosity evident in his voice as he leaned forward slightly, awaiting the duke's response.

"I'm sure there's something big going on there," the duke replied confidently, his tone unwavering. His words hung in the air, prompting the other nobles to exchange intrigued glances, clearly interested in his insights.

"I'm sure the Reinheart family has something to do with whatever happened there. But I don't understand why the King covered it up. It wasn’t like him at all," one of the nobles argued, his brow furrowed in confusion as he voiced his perplexity.

"I thought the same thing. But I don't understand what made him do that. He had attacked Asteria in the past and taken it under his control. If he wants to establish good relations with the Reinheart family now, isn't it too late?" added another noble, his expression reflecting a mix of bewilderment and skepticism.

One noble spoke up next. "After the last war, I think it's impossible for the king to fix his relationship with the Reinheart family," he stated firmly, his voice carrying an air of conviction. "The wounds from the conflict run deep, and to suddenly pivot towards reconciliation would be seen as a sign of weakness by our enemies. It simply doesn't add up."

His words resonated with some of the other nobles, who nodded in agreement, their expressions reflecting a similar sentiment of skepticism and doubt.

Meanwhile, another noble offered a different perspective. "Perhaps this is related to Princess Ophelia," he suggested, his tone laced with intrigue. "The king's issues may have been with the late prince Ilex, but the princess remains a pivotal figure in the Asterian monarchy."

His words sparked a murmured discussion among the nobles, some nodding thoughtfully as they considered the implications of her theory.

Finally, a third noble, known for his blunt honesty, voiced his own questions and concerns. "What does the king want from the princess then?" he asked pointedly, his brow furrowed in confusion. 

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

3