Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 287. The Duke’s Opinions I
69 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 287. The Duke's Opinions I

The heavy silence that settled over the room, each noble lost in their own thoughts as they processed Angel's words. Indeed, the recent events had taken their toll on everyone, from the relentless battles to the constant threats looming over the kingdom. It was undeniable that Angel's plate was full, his responsibilities stretching far beyond the mere task of producing an heir.

The generals, crucial for the kingdom's security, were dispersed across multiple kingdoms, overseeing the aftermath of the recent conflicts. The scars of the war were still fresh, and the kingdom was in the process of rebuilding and recovering from the last tragedy. Angel's responsibilities had only grown in scope and complexity, particularly in light of his prolonged absence during the war.

In this context, the nobles found themselves understanding Angel's reasons more clearly. The demands of governance and the need to address pressing issues had undoubtedly taken precedence over personal matters such as producing an heir. The recent past had been marked by turmoil and upheaval, leaving little room for the more intimate aspects of royal life.

Angel observed the silent assembly of nobles. The meeting had unfolded more smoothly than he had anticipated, and the lack of objections signaled a general acceptance of his plans, at least for the time being. It seemed that his strategic approach to addressing their concerns had paid off.

With a subtle nod, Angel acknowledged the nobles' taciturn response. "I assume you don't have any further suggestions for this problem," he remarked, his tone reflecting a mixture of authority and finality. Closing the meeting, he noted the efficiency with which they had reached a resolution, perhaps quicker than he had initially anticipated.

Angel speculated on the reasons behind the swift conclusion. His earlier remarks regarding Asteria and Prince Ilex had likely diverted their attention, providing a convenient distraction from the matter at hand. Some nobles, he surmised, may have been more intrigued by the implications of his statements, prompting them to prioritize their inquiries about Asteria over other topics.

Seizing the opportunity to glean further insights from the nobles, Angel posed a probing question. "Then is there a problem that you need to address?" he inquired, his gaze sweeping across the room expectantly. He knew that, despite their reticence, the nobles were likely harboring their own concerns and grievances, which could provide valuable intel for him to navigate the intricate web of political intrigue that surrounded him.

"Very well," Angel concluded, his voice carrying an air of finality. "If there is anything else, you can make a report and submit it to Chancellor Allan."

With that, Angel rose from his seat, signaling the end of the meeting. As he made his way towards the exit, the nobles swiftly followed suit, rising from their seats and bowing respectfully as Angel passed by.

Once Angel had left the room, the nobles remained behind, settling back into their seats with a collective sigh. The absence of the king seemed to create an atmosphere of newfound freedom, and the nobles wasted no time in engaging in hushed conversations amongst themselves.

Some discussed the matters raised during the meeting, dissecting Angel's words and speculating on the implications of his decisions. Others seized the opportunity to voice their own opinions and grievances, now that they were no longer under the watchful gaze of the king.

“What do you think, Your Grace?” inquired one of the nobles, prompting the duke to shift his attention from his contemplation.

The duke, caught off guard, furrowed his brow in confusion. “About what?” he queried, his mind still preoccupied with his own musings.

His fellow nobles exchanged curious glances before one of them spoke up. “You seem lost in thought, so we're curious to hear your opinions,” they explained.

“Are you pondering about Asteria? Or perhaps about Princess Rose?” another noble chimed in, echoing the collective curiosity of the group.

The duke took a moment to gather his thoughts before responding. “Both,” he admitted, acknowledging the weightiness of the topics at hand. As the highest-ranking noble present, his insights were highly valued by his peers.

With all eyes on him, the duke contemplated his response carefully, aware of the significance of his words in shaping the discourse among the nobles.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

3