10: Secret Conversation
87 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Let’s go and get your fellow disciple.” Without a word, Sun Lingling followed me out of the room.

But, the moment I stepped out, someone stood there, waiting for me in the vicinity. Like a snake, stalking its prey.

“Congratulations on your first disciple, Second Peak Master.” It was Elder Ning standing there with a thin smile. Yet, my eyes went to the boy standing next to him.

“Oh! Greetings, Second Peak Master. My name is Wang Yang.” He bowed with a Black Token in his hand.

The situation has taken the expected route. At least half of it was. But, the other half took me by surprise.

The moment I stepped out to recruit Sun Lingling. Wang Yang’s results should’ve come out. This shouldn’t have happened because before entering the Lotus Hall, I had checked the arrangement order for the test. From Sun Lingling to Wang Yang’s test, there should’ve been another hour to fifty-five minutes gap. But, it seems like his test concluded right after hers.

The only variable that wasn’t taken into account was Chen Zhipeng.

“Peak Master Chen saw that the ones waiting were affected by the long wait. So he asked a question and whoever got it correct could skip the line.” Elder Ning said. This guy looked happy for taking advantage of that moment. Not that it matters.

“That does sound like him.” I said.

From the start, my visible interest in Wang Yang in front of him was to catch this moment. Knowing that Elder Ning would try to talk with him alone, I still planned to make an offer first to secure him as a disciple. The talk should’ve happened afterward, and simply asking Wang Yang what they talked about would be the end of it.

To think that all that went down the drain because of the whim of someone who wanted to spice up the atmosphere.

“Please be at ease, Peak Master Li. I am not trying to steal a disciple that has caught your eye. I just wanted to ask some questions. And this is nothing but a Transmission Token for when he feels like answering.” Elder Ning tapped Wang Yang on the shoulder, sending him my way. “I placed a slip with Peak Master Li’s name right after me, so please forgive my insolence this once.”

“There is no need to apologize, after all the Disciple Selection Ceremony should be used for its intended purposes.” I already knew how much he lied there. From the start, his plans were rather obvious.

“Haha, looks like Peak Master Li knows that I got rejected. That’s quite embarrassing. Don’t tell anyone, please. My reputation might drop.” With a wry smile, he slipped away. “May the sun be with you in your future endeavors, Second Peak Master.”

What’s with that bad acting? Like everyone doesn’t know how shameless you are. Leaving that aside, I turned to Wang Yang. He still looked lost at the words of Elder Ning. Looks like my interest in him was something he didn’t expect.

“Wang Yang, would you become my Disciple?” I asked, my heart beating fast.

Honestly, I felt nervous, much more nervous than confessing to my first love back on earth.

Even in this state, Wang Yang had good talent with Heaven Grade High Rank Spiritual Root. The only reason he ended up with someone like me in the future was because I appeared at the right moment. Right now, he should have a lot of offers as his Spiritual Root Harmony of Five Elements made it easy for him to take any of the paths.

Maybe I should mention some big perks. The thought occurred to me, but I chose not to say anything.

It would’ve worked on any other disciple, but not him. Wang Yang was one with nature with his Spiritual Root being in perfect balance of major elements. Thus, his perception was unusually high. That was the reason he rejected Elder Ning’s offer.

Unlike last time when I was his only option, this time he should feel my sincerity just as he felt danger from Ning Fan. Although I used my future knowledge to get in his good graces by saving him and his close friend from danger, it didn’t change that I did want to be a good master to him this around. That much should be enough.

“…That would be an honor.” When Wang Yang accepted, I almost let my poker face crack.

But, I reeled in the emotions. It wasn’t time to be happy. Things have only started. With the task of recruiting Sun Lingling and Wang Yang completed. The time to move on to the third task had come. But, before that, some things had to be dealt with on the double.

“This is a Token proving that you are my disciple now.” Wang Yang received the white token with a bow.

Someone had definitely taught him how to do that. He almost took that normally before getting into the formal position.

He wasn’t this formal when he started last time too, so this was good. It’d help him get in less trouble.

Moving along the complex and wide corridors of this pavilion we arrived on the Sixth floor. This was where I had to part ways with the disciples. Aside from Elders, Peak Masters, and hand-selected disciples, no one else was allowed inside the Main Lotus Hall at the moment. But, leaving these two waiting outside wasn’t good either. So taking a little detour I dropped the two in a separate room before returning to the main hall.

“Congratulations on taking such a talented disciple Second Peak Master.” Elder Gu Fei came forward with her honeyed words and swaying black locks. “That disciple is truly lucky to learn from you. Even your second disciple seems to be one of a kind.”

“Indeed. I dare say that I am the lucky one.” Facing her calculative gaze, I didn’t flinch one bit.

“Huhu, Second Peak Master is modest as always.” Although both of us had smiles it wasn’t a pleasant atmosphere.

An ambitious woman like her wouldn’t approach me on her own. After all, my presence in sect politics was never prominent. But, with this, I could skip the normal pleasantries with other Elders and go straight to the upper level again.

“If isn’t the man of the hour again. Senior brother Li, you really rock! You really got two disciples! I gotta drink two whole pots today, woohoo!!” When I stepped onto the elevated platform of Lotus Hall again, a weird scene greeted me.

Liu Zhu was prancing around the chair on the left side as Huang Bai buried her face in her hands. Face flushed, clasping a bottle of wine in her hand like a sword, the merry little drunk was having the time of her life.

“She did it again?” I turned to Huang Bai who nodded with a wry smile.

“Seriously, what a wasteful use of talent.” Guiding the wastrel back to her seat with a stern look, I returned to my own. I really wished Liu Zhi took a page or two out of Huang Bai’s book.

But, that wish had yet to come true even five hundred years later.

“I wish I could have that level of control over my Spiritual Root.” Li Xianquan said to lighten the mood. “Anyway, it looks like the Spiritual Roots Test is coming to an end.”

The only reason this happened was because Chen Zhipeng was forced off the stage by his Vice Peak Master. The real reason the test went on for hours was because of him. So, without his constant commentary, everything led to a quick finish. But, before everyone left, I had a question to ask.

“Peak Master Zhao, are you planning to go on your yearly inspection of the Sect’s territory again next month?” The cold blue eyes tried to hide the bewilderment below calmness.

“That is the plan, is there a reason why Peak Master Li asks this of me?”

“Well, you go around the territory every year by yourself. A task that should be for an elder. Don’t you think this is a bit below your station?” The eyes of others gathered on me at the unnaturally framed question, but I waited for his answer.

“No job in the sect is below my station.” He said.

“As always, I hope that some people can follow your example.” My words caused a little stir on my right.

“Don’t do that to me, Senior Brother Li. The reprimand hurts when it comes from you.” Liu Zhi’s drunkenness went up in smoke.

“Then why don’t you listen for once?” Huang Bai hoped it would happen.

“Alright, I’ll give up drinking…” Liu Zhi’s face lit up with determination. “…for the next hour.”

“I thought the reprimand hurt?” Li Xianquan’s question was met with silence.

However, It wasn’t a normal one, even the noisy Liu Zhi’s lips were sealed shut. Normally she’d have thrown a tantrum about now because everyone was against her.

The source of the silence was the Spiritual Roots Test. With Chen Zhipeng dragged off stage, the event continued in silence and results were seen through the formation, like it was supposed to be.

A part of me still regretted telling that guy about hosting. Although it was done with good intentions at first. We needed some entertainment during a big event with something unique and attention-grabbing. But, little did I know that Zhipeng would arrive at every sect event with screens to broadcast his face and talk for hours.

“That disciple…” Li Xianquan's whisper broke the silence. His eyes still on the screen that showed the result of one of the recruits.

Earth Grade, Low Rank. Solitary Plum Tree.

That was an expected reaction from them, yet the test takers were quick to move along giving her an outer sect token. Even the Elders below showed no interest. From then a few more high Earth Grade Spiritual Roots appeared, but no one moved aside from a few Outer Sect Elders. Since then the atmosphere on the elevated platform has changed. But, the Disciple Selection Ceremony came to an end regardless.

Peak Masters and Elders, everyone prepared to leave and arrange things for their new disciples or get on with their remaining tasks. Similar thoughts went through my head, until the Grand Elder’s gaze landed on me.

“Peak Master Li, there is something I wish to discuss with you so please stay back.”

“As you wish, Grand Elder.” I said before turning to my fellow Peak Master. “Could you send my disciples back to my peak for me, Huang Bai? They are in the Moon gazing room on the Sixth floor.”

“I will see that they are escorted there safely, Senior Brother Li. Then everyone, until next time.” After an elegant bow, she left dragging the sleeping Liu Zhu.

Zhao Jun had his eyes on me, but he left with Elder Ning after getting Li Xianquan’s permission too. The time to talk with him hadn’t come yet.

Soon it was just Li Xianquan and me in the Main Lotus Hall.

“So, do you really want to Talk or Talk, Grand Elder?”

“Come on Big Brother Li, you can stop that now.” Li Xianquan said, sinking further into his seat. That calm and majestic air he had was nowhere to be seen now. All I could see was a young boy, one that I had seen growing up for years.

“So Talk it is.” I said.

He grinned and took out a sealed wine pot from his storage ring. With a little tap, the dried mud seal turned into dust. He peeled off the Jade paper that covered the mouth of the pot. Filling the room with the pleasant scent of lilies with a tinge of age and flair.

“Fire Lily wine, aged to perfection for a hundred years inside a pot made of clay from the Kunlun Mountains and the ground scales of a Scorch Dragon.” The fiery scent tickled my nose.

Wine is something I enjoyed in my free time, most of my junior brothers and sisters also took a liking to it because of me. However, unlike my First Junior sister, the rest of us like wine in moderation.

“Don’t tell Big Sis Liu about it.” If she heard of it his stock would be gone before the sun sets.

“I am more concerned about the occasion that brings about the opening of such expensive wine.” He laughed and poured me a cup before himself.

“It is because Big Brother has taken in disciples today, not just one but two. Now, I can rest easy that someone is there to watch over you.”

“I can take of myself just fine. Regardless, now that I have them, you should get off my case, right?” I said, picking up the cup with my right hand.

“Indeed, unless Big Brother Li is up to something.” He filled his own cup.

“I don’t have time for that stuff anymore, need to teach two disciples now.” Shaking my head I took a sip of the wine, the warm and fiery taste spread across my mouth.

It felt hot in the back of my throat as the wine went down to my stomach. Soon the same warmth spread across my body reaching even my fingertips.

“Does the wine suit your taste, Big Brother?” He asked.

“It does.” My hands felt a lot warmer now.

With the celebratory toast out of the way, it was time for the real subject. The Talk meant having a real talk, but over drinks.

Though in reality, it was my way of an apology for always skipping Big Sect events every time. Aside from me being labeled as a recluse in the sect, it didn’t cause much stir.

“About the attack on the caravan. They happened with other sects on the same day.” He brought out the topic on queue.

“How many sects in total?”

“Five, with us and Frozen Flower Holyland being the major ones.”

“The Purple Cloud Sect will be under a lot of fire for this.” I said.

“As expected, it didn’t surprise you.” The reason was that this happened in the future. But, this wouldn’t develop the same way as that time.

“Have we sent someone yet?” He shook his head.

“Most Elders want to let the other sects go in first, Frozen Flower Holyland has already sent a warning it seems. The use of Four Stick poison on their recruits pushed them to the point of no return.” Frozen Flower Holyland cared for their disciples on a different level, because every recruit of their is sure to become a disciple.

It happened just like last time, the moment Purple Cloud Sect failed to come up with any plausible explanation things would get out of hand.

“We have the evidence to support Purple Cloud Sect, send it over with a messenger to smooth it over.” My words seemed to have surprised him. “There are already cracks, if we let this fester the entire balance on Eastern Continent will fall apart.”

“I understand that… I just didn’t expect you to support it openly.” He said refilling the cups. “The Yin Dandelion and now Four Sticks Poison, if that wasn’t enough the Disciple tokens found by Primordial Spear Sect and ours are more than enough to push them against a cliff. If it weren’t for the Three-mouthed Centipede found in the bodies, even I wouldn’t believe the Purple Cloud sect right now.”

“It is in our interest that we do. Although the sects keep each other in check, if one of them gets pushed too far they’ll bite back. Everyone will be roped in eventually. Let that happen and we’d fall right into the hole the Demonic Sect had dug.” That is why helping them was the better option, it’ll help us avoid future conflict and also come out with a profit.

“Send in Long Lingxin Fei as a messenger. If they have half the shame they used to, we could look forward to generous compensation.” He thought for a bit before nodding.

“Someone like her would do well keeping things under control. So, about Big Brother’s name, should I deal with it as usual?”

“You can add it this time. The news should be all over the sect by now.” He confirmed my guess with a nod. Good thing the newer recruits are talkative. “Just make sure to send the message that the discovery was a coincidental one.”

I had other plans and if my name becomes too prominent in the case, it’ll hinder the rest of the stage set up for Bian Que. This attack on sects was nothing more than a smoke screen, but it could very well spiral out of control with the amount of planning and evidence that they planted. If it wasn’t for my future knowledge things would’ve gone the same way, Purple Cloud Sect would’ve been incriminated.

The entire thing would’ve later resulted in a war between them and the Frozen Flower Holyland. In the end, even Azure Sky Sect was involved because realistically we were the ones who lost the most. With evidence against them, Purple Cloud Sect once again had no way out.

It went exactly as the Demonic Sect’s Brain planned it. However, this time he had a player on the other side of the board. So, it won’t go the same way.

“You seem to be mulling over something again, Big Brother Li.” He said, breaking the long silence.

“I am just planning on how to teach the two disciples. After all, both of them are quite different.” Xianquan agreed while pouring me another cup of wine.

“That’s what I’d expect. However, there is one thing that weighs on my mind… Why didn’t you take that girl as your disciple too?” So, he asked about it after all.

“Aren’t you interested in Wu Kexin?” He finally asked it.

3