9: Task Accomplished?
134 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Immortal Grade Low Rank. Sonorous Sword Body.

After Sun Lingling’s Spiritual root grade came into view, the entire Lotus Hall fell silent. The testing site was the same, the deafening silence dominated everyone. They knew that the next big shot in the cultivation society had appeared.

“Sonorous Sword Body… it looks like something out of our calculations happened.” Li Xianquan still sported a calm smile.

No elder or Peak master had moved yet. For a kid with this level of talent, someone like Grand Elder would be the most suitable teacher. However, not all of them were that eager to get Sun Lingling.

“Exceeding the expected profit is always wonderful. Let’s drink to that!” Liu Zhi stuck her lips straight to the bottle this time much to our dismay.

With her path of cultivation, someone like Sun Lingling would be farthest away from being the ideal disciple. But, for most here, she was the top prize. And they had good luck because she wasn’t an ideal disciple for Li Xianquan either.

“It is regrettable, but I will withdraw from this. My respected Peak Masters and Elders, I hope that you can be the teacher that child needs.” He said as the ambition in everyone’s eyes grew.

Since the Grand Elder had stepped back, it’d be a toss-up between the Peak Masters. The Peak that gets her would get the most attention moving forward. And with Sun Lingling’s spiritual root, there were two who could become the perfect teacher for her. Unfortunately, one of them was away on a mission. So, all the eyes gathered on Zhao Jun.

“Do not stand on ceremony, if any of you wish to make an offer, do go ahead.” His voice cold, as he scanned the Elders below.

The disciple who collected the piece of fragrant paper didn’t even have to look towards the Elders. Most of them were trying hard to not look interested. After all, their Peak Masters didn’t move either.

“They must feel overwhelmed. After all, your talent with a sword is known far and wide. I’d say that Peak Master Zhao is the most suitable one to teach her.” Xianquan dispersed the tension as the other elders nodded and agreed. It was good that he gave them some way to escape the cold staredown.

“I am flattered Grand Elder. But, the Disciple Selection is a fair event. It isn’t about who is the most suitable Master, rather it is to find under whom the disciple’s talents can bloom the most.” Zhao Jun’s eyes still waiting for someone to speak up. It wasn’t like he was the only sword user in the sect; some had better accomplishments in the path of the sword, but chose to stay hidden.

“Peak Master Zhao is so upstanding. I’ll drink to that!” Liu Zhi continued drinking without worries, unlike others. Huang Bai and Li Xianquan shook their heads in silence.

A few more minutes passed yet no one made an offer.

“It would appear that Peak Master Zhao is the only one who had made the offer.” Li Xianquan smiled, sending the disciple away to submit the paper.

“It would appear so.” Zhao Jun stood up. The blue eyes glanced at me for a moment before he left.

He was already on his way to meet with the disciple, wasting no time. Though I already knew he wouldn’t succeed. Before my Regression, his offer was shot down too. It wasn’t because he became complacent after having no competition. That wasn’t like him.

The man gave the best offer a Peak Master could give in terms of resources and teaching, even going beyond it. But, Sun Lingling wasn’t looking for a normal Master.

That was the highest-ranking Spiritual Root that has appeared in the history of Spiritual Root Tests held in this sect. This record was previously held by the Sixth Peak Master Zhao Jun with his Divine Grade High-Rank Root. The record that stood strong for 220 years... Someone has finally broken it today!! This is getting exciting, isn’t it? Let’s see if someone else can also rewrite history today!!

Chen Zhipeng looked happier than the one who broke the record. The girl in blue silk robes didn’t even crack a smile.

“He has been blabbering for 3 hours straight. Doesn’t his mouth hurt at all? I wouldn’t survive 15 minutes with that energy.” Liu Zhi grimaced taking a sip of wine, her long lashes struggling to stay open even when all she had done was drink and sit around. “Don’t tell me this damned fox robbed my energy or something?!”

“You’ve always been a slacker, Senior Sister Liu.” Huang Bai said with a smile.

“You aren’t normal either. How can you take a dig at me with such a sweet smile? I can't even get mad. Senior Brother Li, back me up here.” Liu Zhi turned to me which I promptly ignored. It is not like Huang Bai said something wrong.

Honestly, if it wasn’t for the sake of recruiting Wang Yang and two other tasks at hand, I would’ve left by now.

“Hey! Don’t silently agree with her. I don’t slack… not that much anymore you know?” There wasn’t any use in helping someone who doubted themselves.

Xianquan smiled to himself on his chair. He looked quite pleased as Liu Zhi's bottles were confiscated by Huang Bai. These two didn’t change much even in the later years, though a lot of other things changed between us.

Before my attention went back to the screen, Zhao Jun walked back into the Lotus Hall. He looked regal as ever in black robes, getting the attention of the female elders as always. But, unlike his cold and neutral expression, a frown sat on his forehead.

“Did something happen?” Sensing the atmosphere Li Xianquan asked.

“She rejected the offer.” Zhao Jun cut straight to the point, drawing many gasps around the hall. Considering Sun Lingling’s talent, Zhao Jun should’ve been the best teacher as said before, but to reject that. What went on in her head?

“That’s quite unfortunate, maybe the other Elders and Peak Masters can try.” Li Xianquan looked over as hope rekindled in the eyes of many elders.

“There won’t be a need for that.” But, Zhoa Jun poured cold water all over them. The comment drew attention from everyone as he got to the crux of the matter. “Sun Lingling already has a Master in mind she’d like to learn from. Any other offers would get rejected, no matter who they come from.”

“And who is the person she selected?” Li Xianquan asked, no one would take such comments to heart. The person in question had the potential and the right to demand that.

However, most of the elders here who wished it was them, would only end up with shattered dreams.

“The Second Peak Master, Li Muchen. That’s her choice.” Zhao Jun’s blue and unfeeling eyes landed on me as if to find the reason. But, he wouldn't get it.

After all, I don't know myself.

But, the first step to changing the horrid future has come.

“I’ll be right back.” With that, I left the Lotus Hall under maximum attention.

***

As soon as the recruit finishes their Spiritual Root Test with flying colors, they get two choices. One, either accept the Master from the people who showed interest in them, or second, join the Peak their desired Master is part of. There can be many reasons for the second choice, but rarely was it not based on personal profit and pre-set agendas. A lot of people had tried to join the Plum Peak for personal gains over the years. I rejected of course.

Now the question stood even larger than before. What did this girl Sun Lingling want from me?

“Greetings, Peak Master Li Muchen.” The seventeen-year-old girl looked at me with her sharp crimson eyes.

Much more mature than her age suggested, the beauty she had outshined the lavish room we were seated in. Even with the golden decoration and centuries-old ink paintings, the mole beneath her right eye outshined it all.

That beauty was something familiar to me almost as if a shadow stood behind her. Yet, I couldn't put a finger on it. The same reaction that I had meeting her in the future. This time, getting to the bottom of that was my goal.

“Greetings. So, shall we get to the point? Why did you choose me to be your Master?” Taking a seat across from her, I examined her cold expression with a small smile of my own.

“It is because I want to learn Cultivation from you. That is the very reason I traveled to this Sect.” She said. Her back straight like a sword and a strong will in her eyes.

There wasn’t a single lie in her words. Even before regression she had come to the sect and asked for me just like today. But, me being away from the sect to dodge the ceremony, the Grand Elder told her that I wouldn’t be taking any disciples after getting my reply through the Transmission Token. What happened next was that Sun Lingling left the sect and later joined the Jade Sword Hall in the following years, a minor sect in the glades near the Azure Dragon Ravine.

“You have a level of potential that comes once a millennium. That is why someone like the First Peak Master and the Sixth Peak Master would be the best picks. They have sharpened their swords throughout their lives and have great accomplishments with the path. If you do not wish to squander your potential, please consider them.” Even now I cannot understand why she’d ask for me, why not go straight to Jade Sword Hall?

Leaving my Spiritual root aside for the moment, I am not well versed in swordsmanship to teach someone like her. With her spiritual root, she was set to be the ruler of all swords. But, the only reason she would want to learn from me, would be for something specific.

“I do not need help in sword arts… Please pardon my rudeness.” The pure white sword let out a hum as soon as she drew it from the ashen metal scabbard.

The pure and vibrant Qi enveloped the blade and transformed right before my eyes. The Qi gave the cold steel sword a sharper edge that fluctuated like ripples on the surface of a pond.

“I have materialized Sword Qi on my own. The only reason it is this weak right now is because of my low realm.” She said sheathing her sword back as if it was nothing special.

Sword Qi could only be formed in the Golden Core realm. Those were the words of the Divine Sword Valley’s Sect Master, one of the greatest swordsmen to ever hold the weapon. Every swordsman in the world lived by those words. Yet, right in front of me, those words had been proven wrong. A girl in the Fifth stage of Qi Gathering had acquired it.

Without a doubt Sun Lingling was a genius that’d change the world like Wang Yang, at least she should’ve. She died at the age of 40, in pursuit of revenge on the Demonic Sect. Only her bones were found in an underground altar after the alliance raided the Sect years later.

“Your talent with the sword is indeed impressive. And, I dare say that your cultivation speed also wouldn’t lose out with a Spiritual Root like that. If you didn’t know, I have been stuck in the Golden Core for over 200 years now. That should say a lot about what l can provide you regarding cultivation.” My title didn’t match my cultivation level in the slightest. It was barely above mid-level Elders in other peaks. Excuses didn’t matter. That was the cold and harsh truth.

But, there were two reasons I could gain this position even with my mediocre talents and realm.

Sun Lingling’s brow moved a little. She looked at the table for a moment before raising her gaze. That was the most emotion she had shown till now.

“I suppose the Second Peak Master enjoys talking in circles.” She said.

“I haven’t the slightest clue of what you are talking about.” I said leaning back into the cushioned chair as she took a deep breath.

“The reason for Peak Master’s low realm isn’t the lack of talent. If that were the case, you wouldn’t be the first disciple of the Sky Mending Saint. If you had lacked talent in cultivation, you wouldn’t have taught your four Junior Disciples about cultivation. Three of them are now Peak Masters and the fourth being the Grand Elder of the Sect. I doubt someone who did this, lacks talent in cultivation. They only lacked the luck to have a low-leveled Spiritual Root that couldn’t keep up with their comprehension of the realms.” She had done her dues in research. It wasn’t that easy to find this much about me.

Even the fact that my Spiritual Roots held me back wasn’t something just anyone could know. Many people knew the name Li Muchen, but only a few knew of the face behind it. Among the people who knew that, and could be connected to Sun Lingling could be counted on my hand.

She’s related to that one, the Missing Sword Princess. It was a simple deduction, yet a cruel reality. It had been four hundred years since I last heard from her (before regression), the encounter we had was very brief.

“Are you serious about this?” I asked. If Sun Lingling had connections to that woman, I can’t let her die in vain again.

“The only person that can help me in cultivation aside from the Sect Master of Azure Sky Sect, is the Second Peak Master. I need the best teacher on this continent. That is why I have come here first. Please, teach me. I will do my best to bring honor to your name if that is what you need.” Standing up, she bowed her hand clenching the sword tight enough to turn her knuckles pale.

I don’t know why the Sword princess spoke to her about me, but the choice was already made. I planned to teach her from the get-go. That was the reason I even came here, but now there was more to it. Iron sharpens Iron. With someone like her around, Wang Yang’s growth will increase along with hers.

Her drive to seek revenge against the Demonic sect would provide me with more assistance and many more answers to both of us regarding our situations. But, moving in without proper plans and strength wouldn’t happen this time. We’d just be rushing to our deaths.

To prevent that, we all needed to get stronger. Stronger than the future I knew of. Stronger than our enemies could keep up with. Most importantly, I had to prepare well for tornadoes that may arise because of me.

Before that, there was one task that needed to be sorted.

“I don’t want honor. A disciple dedicated to protecting the sect and not wasting its resources is enough for me. Outside of that, you are free to do what you want.” I said placing a token on the table.

“Take this if you can become that.” The pure white token slid across the table and came to a stop right under her eyes.

“I, Sun Lingling, greet the Master. I will do my best to follow your guidance.” With a token in her hands, she did a martial bow as her name appeared on the front. A sign of accepting the disciple token.

Though no joy flickered in her eyes, there was but a fire for revenge. That was fine too. In a way, we had more in common than I expected.

“Let’s go and get your fellow disciple.” Without a word, she followed me out of the room.

But, the moment I stepped out, someone stood there, waiting for me. Like a snake stalking their prey.

“Congratulations on your first disciple, Second Peak Master.” It was Elder Ning standing there with a thin smile on his pale face. Yet, my eyes went to the boy standing next to him.

“Uh… Greetings Second Peak Master. My name is Wang Yang.” He bowed with a Black Token in his hand.

3