5: Bitter
174 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are any of you feeling something off about your body?” My question was met with reluctant or fierce head movements, But, all in all, the recruits looked in proper shape.

Alongside the antidote giving them a recovery and healing pill was a good idea. It helped them overcome the minor injuries or damage their bodies suffered because of the poison. As mortals, they were much more fragile than cultivators, though low levels of Qi helped them get off with minor damage.

What they saw upon waking up didn’t leave a pleasant impression either. Amid their cowering gazes, I gathered the corpses in a separate storage pouch along with their belongings. They still had their uses even after their death.

As the formations around the cave came undone I hopped on the flying sword and made my way out of the opening. They all stood near the opening and looked down careful not to go too close. Looking at each other they must be wondering how to descend from that place. Climbing down was an option, but a small slip could hurl them to their deaths.

“You don’t have to climb down.” I said before Wang Yang tried to do exactly that.

“Oh…” Crawling back into the cave he scratched his head ignoring the stern eyes of the girl beside him.

“Here, we’ll go back on these.” Three more flying swords came out of my storage ring and hovered before them.

“There is a barrier around the sword, so even if you do fall it’ll prevent you from falling to the ground.” The barriers became visible to give them another sense of security.

The recruits looked at it with awe as before their eyes the width of the swords tripled to give them more space to stand on. If it was like a ski before, now it looked like a surfboard. Still a little scared, but with palpable excitement they stepped on the swords. They didn’t have to worry too much as my control was what mattered.

But, it seemed like a small problem arose. With the three girls in the group taking up one sword, the six guys took the other two, one couldn’t find space to get on them. He missed his chance because he was getting told off by one of the girls.

“You can travel with me.” I said to Wang Yang.

“…Thank you.” He jumped on the sword even before it widened.

It made me smile inside as this side of him never changed.

Travelling through the trees at a slower pace we passed through and over some small valleys. Throughout the journey, Wang Yang kept glancing at me, but the same was true for the others too. The idea of traveling with Flying swords was a fascinating experience for the first timers, but it wouldn’t make them forget some things.

“You can ask me if you want to know something.” Matching his gaze I laid down the opportunity. Normally no one would speak up, to mortals the righteous cultivators looked like gods.

Flying through the air like dragons, making mountains disappear with a wave of their hands, making miracles real, guarding the ordinary from evil, and an ever-increasing lifespan. How could they view cultivators any different from a God? So, how could they ask questions to such beings? Yet, he never had such reservations.

“Was killing them necessary?” Wang Yang asked.

I knew he would ask this. The last time he asked this question, I gave him a rather crude and incomplete answer. But, this time I prepared in advance. After all, I set up the later parts to say this to him before he starts cultivating.

“Should I have let them go?” My question seemed to have perplexed him.

“No No… I mean there are prisons for cultivators, right?” He seemed unsure, but he wasn’t wrong.

“They weren’t normal cultivators, they belonged to the Demonic sects. Even if I took them to the prison nothing would come out of it.” I knew what he’d ask next.

“Even if we try to change them?”

“Demonic Cultivators are like a Dog’s tail, always crooked. If you let them go today, they’ll kill your family in cold blood tomorrow. That’s how they are.” Many benevolent people found this out the hard way. That’s why demonic cultivators get killed on sight as interrogating them is a waste of time too.

“I think my dad said something similar to that dog’s tail thing…” Wang Yang muttered.

Restraining a chuckle, other’s eyes had also gathered on us. I could’ve used the voice-blocking formation built into the sword, but didn’t. This was something they’d learn sooner or later, so knowing this sooner wouldn’t hurt them either.

“You all will soon enter the world of cultivation. Make no mistake, it is no different from the normal world, instead, it is worse. Dangers await you at every step, and a moment of carelessness can cost you your life.” Treating Cultivators as Gods, I laugh every time I think of it. To me, they were still humans, humans who wielded godly powers. But, to be human is to be flawed.

If there is good in someone, there is malice in another. This held true even among the righteous cultivators.

“But fear not, the sect will have your backs. We’ll provide you with the tools to grow and defend yourself against those you seek your fortune.” Cultivation defied the heavens, that’s why even with thousands of years left only a few could actually live till old age.

“The opportunities Heaven grants are limited. So, be sure to make the most of the ones you find and never become short-sighted.” Even in a world full of danger, there were always people who would brave the dangers to become stronger.

And among them were beings who defied logic itself. They kept climbing higher and higher. Using everything around them rising from the corpses of thousands. These people stood at the pinnacle of the world because they survived while others failed. And one of them was standing right in front of me, looking at me with a shine in his eyes.

“Yes Lord Immortal!!” The enthusiastic answer from the ten of them made me nod in satisfaction.

“Knowing that, would you let them go away next time?” I asked my voice near a whisper.

“...” Wang Yang couldn’t answer. It didn’t come as a surprise to me, he was at an age where he believed people could still lead a good life if given a second chance. But, it seemed like he tried to come up with an answer at least. So, I stopped him.

“You don’t have to rush, there is plenty of time ahead of you. So tell me when you have an answer.” He nodded in agreement and started to look around the forest again.

The door of cultivation had just opened for him, but I knew he had what it took to reach the top. Seeing it firsthand I knew it better than anyone else.

With this, the incident had come to an end. None of them showed any signs of hanging onto this. When they get back this energy will also spread to the others. What I aimed for was beyond that.

Yet, most of my expectations got foiled by the underprepared enemy that faced me. One of the reasons that I took my time with this was to find out which Demonic sect she belonged to. At first, there was some hope when she talked about being a Cultivation Cauldron for an elder. That would’ve been the fastest way of knowing my target, but that wasn’t the case.

Thus, I let her die with the antidote in hopes that someone strong would come to protect her. She seemed like a promising prospect, but even that didn’t happen. Other ways of finding out their origins did exist, but they were too time-consuming and not that effective. If nothing came up I’d strike the closest Demonic Sect that I know the location of.

I gathered the information from my previous life and this to figure things out. The transmission token tied to my belt vibrated. The voice rang in my head as soon as my fingers touched the cold jade.

2nd Peak Master, a squad from the Disciplinary Hall had arrived at our location. Elder Ning is leading the squad.

A smile crept on my lips hearing that.

Tell them I’ll be there soon.

Already did Second Peak Master.

The reply came in an instant as I sped up to reach the destination among the cheers and excitement of the recruits. I couldn’t stop the smile from appearing on my lips.

Plan C was still viable after all. I could still find the ones who targeted my sect this blatantly.

Passing through the dense cluster of trees the orange sunlight illuminated the road where the caravan awaited. Without wasting time I landed in front of Liu Fu allowing the others to get off the swords. As he bowed, the other disciples and the recruits at the place scrambled to follow suit. But, signaling them to carry on with their tasks my eyes went to the second group.

The nine individuals swathed in black uniforms stood at attention, their mouths covered with masks, and the hoods casting a shadow on their faces made their presence even fainter. Standing in front of them was a man with closed eyes who performed a martial bow. He too wore a black robe with a golden token on his hip.

“Greetings Second Peak Master, we meet again. Have you come to harvest some herbs this time too?” Ning Fan showed an amiable smile as the men behind him followed suit without uttering a word.

“That was the plan, but I happened to catch their distress signal so I helped.” Liu Fu stood beside me eyeing the people behind Ning Fan.

“I apologize, an error in our communications has caused you trouble.” He said placing a hand on the trembling man standing near him.

“Do not mind it. Helping our sect’s disciples can never be a hassle. But, an error in the work of the Disciplinary Hall? Is everything alright?” Ning Fan chuckled at my question his closed eyes focused on me.

“Even our Peak Master makes errors once every Sun Completion (Ten years). Compared to him we are normal people, errors happen.”

“Are you sure you can say that out loud?”

“Being the Vice Head of the Disciplinary Hall comes with its benefits. Rest assured I won’t be punished for a harmless joke. It is different for actual mistakes though.” Ning Fan shook his head as the people behind him stayed silent.

There were two reasons they stayed there with their heads down, one because they made a mistake. Second, their mistake came to the attention of a Peak Master, me. Without them telling me anything further I could draw up the scenario that happened.

During their regular watch duty, the Shadow force’s group that had to protect this caravan got a call for reinforcement and went there. With that, this area became vulnerable and the attack happened. But, loose ends remained from what I knew of this incident.

“I am sure Second Peak Master had already guessed what happened on our end.” There wasn’t a chance where I wouldn’t. After all, he said it blatantly to provide me with something to build off of.

Getting answers out of him isn’t easy. Ning Fan was many things but a chatterbox.

“I’ve already got a rough rundown of the events from disciple Liu over here. Were they really from the Purple Cloud Sect? I heard they had legitimate badges and everything.” He pounced seeing the opportunity to change the subject.

“Obviously not. Those guys aren’t stupid enough to leave traces unless they want to stir up something.” His eyebrows rose at my answer.

“What if they are really trying to stir up something?” A valid line of thought, but not probable for this case.

“Not a chance. One of them tried to pass off as Qian Yun’s disciple but failed before she even started.” That woman would never let her disciple come on such a mission and allow the use of Yin Dandelion Poison.

“Senior Qian?!” His voice rose an octave as he took a step back.

Although he had come several generations after Qian Yun, her tales were enough to not make anyone cross her even if they didn’t see her do such things. Her name itself held significant weight in the Eastern Continent, especially in the Azure Sky Sect. Noticing the curious ears he gathered his composure once again,

“How did Peak Master Li catch the impersonator?” His voice almost a whisper now, and the answer to that was simple.

“She asked me who I was.”

“Ah, that’s quite a way to give herself up.”

“You tell me.” It was indeed the dumbest way to reveal herself as a fake.

This should help Ning Fan understand that this wasn’t as big of an issue as it sounded. It also helped me cover my tracks to an extent. All thanks to the blunder made by that woman.

“Well, it can’t be helped. Not many people know of the relationship between Senior Li and Senior Qian.” Ning Fan smiled and I knew why, “Peak Master Li is already clicking his tongue so I’ll stop.”

“It is because you made me remember something bitter.” Shaking my head was the only thing to do.

Qian Yun and I had never gotten along. She took even more offense to the fact that I created the antidote to her poison before she could. And I didn’t like her because she hated me for no reason. A perfectly justifiable reason if you ask me. So, being her disciple and not knowing my name and face was impossible.

“Forget it, I’ll need to eat some Red bean buns to wipe this sourness away.” That said I handed the storage pouch to Ning Fan receiving a questioning gaze.

“This has the corpses of the Demonic Cultivators and their belongings.” My answer however only intensified that stare.

“This happened under the operation area of the Disciplinary Hall. You should know how your Peak Master will react if he knows that I am holding evidence.” That answer should turn the gears in his head.

“Thank you for your understanding Peak Master Li.” A wry smile hung on his lips while taking the pouch.

“You need not worry. I am an understanding man.” I said adjusting my sleeves, “I won’t hold you any further.”

Ning Fan nodded and turned to talk with the squad behind him. Although he didn’t raise his voice the words were expectedly sharp. He didn’t have a strong presence like his Peak Master, but he didn’t need that.

Leaving that aside, my attention lingered on the recruits who gathered behind the disciples. Only one injured disciple seemed to be resting in the back. The rest had their eyes locked on me. Facing the gazes full of admiration and reverence, there wasn’t much that I needed to do.

“This is where we part ways. Enjoy your stay at the Azure Sky Sect.” With the parting words left in the wind, my Flying Sword pointed back at the sect with the same speed as I came here.

Not only did I save my disciple this time, but the others who had met an end because of this unfortunate incident also survived. I had left a strong impression on them through this, especially on Wang Yang. Yet, more remained unsolved. It wasn’t like I didn’t know what to do to solve this.

With every second the chance of this being true grew more. A shadow squad gets a false distress call from another squad, the attack of the Demonic Sect happens in that window, and then the Vice Head of the Disciplinary Hall shows up with the missing team.

However, things didn’t go like this in the future. The entire caravan, including the sect disciples, the recruits, and the shadow squad vanished in thin air. The only ones who survived from the people here were Wang Yang who woke up in a ditch and Ning Fan who said he didn’t know about the incident. Not only that, the Yin Dandelion Poison wasn’t mentioned anywhere.

It could really be that the future Ning Fan never came to this site. But, what about the other mysteries?

Although this wasn’t a conjecture I wanted to draw. But, couldn’t look the other way from it because of the events that happened before regression and this. 

The Disciplinary Hall is involved in this incident.  

                                                           ***

 

6