2: Spiritual Root
215 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a deep breath, I closed in on my new Spiritual Root. The Black Lotus.

As my feet touched the water a low hum traveled through the pond with the lotus at the center. Soon the fog vanished. The lotus in the middle seemed to wiggle in joy as a deep connection with it came into existence. Almost as if I was the lotus, sitting in the middle of the pond braving the seasons, tasting the sun and wind.

What followed was a ferocious roar of Taotie. It rose from the outer lake. The water (Liquefied Qi) rained down on the city. Taotie rushed towards me with renewed passion and a wide open mouth. It must’ve felt my resonance with Black Lotus and located me.

But, this bout has reached its end. The thread that connected me with the lotus widened into a path. The entire Mind realm thumped like a restarting heart. It was like time had stopped.

My eyes could see each drop of water that fell. The current location of every tree leaf and flower petal in this realm reached my mind. It was like a whole new sense had awakened where I could see all around me without turning my gaze.

Since my Spiritual Roots had changed into something else, I didn’t have a connection with it to have these advantages. But, now the connection with the new Spiritual Root has been established.

The previously rapid Taotie moved at a snail’s pace. Not that it had slowed, but the Spiritual Root boosted my senses several times over. And this was but the start. Just sharp senses wouldn’t be enough to defeat this monstrosity.

“Water feeds wood, didn’t you know?” Numerous thick and dark green roots shot out of the ground and latched onto Taotie.

It struggled in vain. The liquefied Qi had the properties of Water. It boosted the roots (Wood) into stronger and thicker strands that wrapped around Taotie before it could move. More Liquefied Qi poured down from the sky as a shower of rain. Along with the final sentence to this useless struggle.

A few meters before my eyes Taotie was sealed within a cocoon of roots. It tried to eat its way out, but the cocoon grew twice as fast to contain him. Soon jagged thorns punctured into its body and started to drain the Qi it had like long leeches.

Taotie thrashed around but it couldn’t break the thick barrier that tightened its hold to crush him. More thorns emerged as the Crimson fog from the Black Lotus overflowed the pond. In a matter of a minute, the mind realm was shrouded in silence. The red fog covering my feet.

Through the roots I confirmed that it had stopped moving, a sigh of relief escaped my lips. With all Qi drained, its form faded away in the air like a ghost. I used my senses to scan the entire realm even checking the depths of the lake just to be sure. But, it wasn’t here any longer. The roots untangled themselves and retreated to the ground, soon the garden returned to how it used to be. Calm and serene.

“A lot happened in such a short time.” Fatigue caught up to me at once.

Tons of questions whirled in my head before. But, with this newfound connection with the lotus, many answers appeared before me.

The cause of regression, the reason behind Taotie’s appearance in my Mind realm, and the new Spiritual Root. It all clicked together at once now.

It happened after the battle with Taotie that left the Western Continent in shambles. My disciple told me something about the Immortal Grade herb he found inside this Disaster God.

Still remember him talking about it with much excitement through the Transmission token. The herb’s appearance, properties, benefits, and what he planned to do with it. He planned to refine the herb into a one-of-a-kind pill that would boost one’s cultivation and body strength by leaps and bounds, even increasing their potential to unknown heights.

Master, I can finally give you a good present this year for all you have done for me.

The happiness in his voice was clear to me even now. That moment was the highest it had been for us, for me at least. Not long after that, I stood face to face with a newly unsealed Disaster God myself. A trap laid out for me. Although I did defeat it, it came at a cost.

My Spiritual Root and meridians were left mangled after taking just two attacks. The physical and spiritual body fell apart like a sand sculpture in a sea wave. There was no hope of making it out alive. Then that kid appeared again.

Master… Please hold on. I won’t let you die. I promise! Please… Please don’t leave me… Not you…

The searing pain from that day has been burned deep in my soul, but still, he sounded more in pain at that moment than me. But, that kid didn’t lie.

“The pill he fed me that day was made of that very Black Lotus and it saved my life.” At that moment, my trust in him didn’t waver and it led to this. Although things went sideways, my soul went in the past where he didn’t know me, yet I still live like he wanted.

That only answers half the question. Taotie and the Black Lotus checked out, but the regression was still shrouded in mystery.

The Black lotus was rich in wood qi, because anything it ate was converted into Qi for storage. It didn’t have any qualities that could help in leaping through time. A pill can’t have a property that the herbs used to make it didn’t have. The pill fed to me had Wood Qi so pure that I felt it even with all my senses gone. To my knowledge, no other herbs were added to the mix. The plan was to refine it while keeping its essence to match my Element.

“So, I am dealing with outside influence again.” For as much time as could be spared in my life in this world. I had tried to look for the cause of my reincarnation here at every chance.

But, after years of looking for an answer nothing came to light. One could move on by saying it was by chance, but believing in chances wasn’t my thing.

No wind blows without reason. That line of thinking was something I lived by. My investigation into this Regression may end up without anything to show for it too. But, that wouldn’t stop me. The inability to conjure an answer for these events ate at my mind as much as someone pulling the strings from behind. It may be a wild ghost chase, but I’ll chase it to the end of the earth and get my answers.

I’d rather die in search of knowledge than to live in ignorance.

Leaving the Mind Realm behind the real world came into view. With my connection to the Spiritual Root, checking up on the mind realm became easier. In case Taotie reappeared, I’d know and subduing it would be easier too.

But, just to be sure I re-entered the Mind realm to check. This time appearing right beside the Black Lotus, the connection remained. There didn’t seem to be any issues with this so far.

That was when someone knocked on the main door of the residence a few times. I really couldn’t catch a break today.

Fixing my robe and hair on the way to the main door, I put on my shoes as the front gate opened with my thoughts.

“I greet the Second Peak Master.” The boy in the white uniform with a lotus emblem on his shoulder bowed with his hands clasped in front of his chest. 

“A message for me, Lin Fan?” The black haired youth nodded and stood straight, his eyes gleaming with respect.

“Grand Elder has sent a message regarding the Disciple Selection Ceremony. It would take place in two days at the moment all five energies reach their peak. The Grand Elder wishes to inform the Plum Peak Master about the promise and expects you to be present at the ceremony.” Lin Fan’s words turned the gears in my head.

The Disciple Selection Ceremony was an event that happened once every ten years in the Azure Sky Sect. To prepare for this, over a hundred scouts entered the mortal world to search for people who could become cultivators. Elders had the right to choose the most talented disciples of the bunch and train them personally. But, as a Peak Master for over 300 years, I never took in a single disciple.

After losing a bet I agreed that I’d try to take one disciple at the very least this time around. But, to think he would send someone to make me remember that. I groaned.

Although it wasn’t the first time he did this. I used the reason I forgot or was too busy to notice the time passing too many times to force such a reaction.

Even during this time, I used the excuse of ‘I went out to gather some herbs and was late for the ceremony, Apologies.’ So, this was understandable. But, the reminder wasn’t needed this time around.

“Tell Grand Elder that I have received his words and will keep my promise. Then I won’t hold you any longer. Go where you need to be.” With a gracious smile, I handed him a small pouch that had some Earth Grade pills and a hundred spirit stones in it. It was a ‘Thanks’ for delivering the message.

“I will never forget your generosity, Second Peak Master!” Lin Fan did a martial salute, almost overcome with emotions. He did have some problems around this time if I remember correctly.

So, this should help him somewhat.

With swift and confident steps he descended the stairs that led down the mountain peak. In the distance, I saw someone in black robes gliding through the air on a flying sword. To a normal person he might look like an eagle flying above the clouds, but sensing my gaze the man with short black hair met my eyes. He bowed to show his respect before going on his way to the furthest peak that was near the outer sect area.

Everyone seemed busy since a big event was around the corner. I too had things to do. Entering the main wing of the residence, I locked my room from the inside.

No one should find out about this. But, knowing the future became a positive for me. Knowledge about the War that had yet to start and how much it destroyed. I planned to put an end to it. Also, there was no real reason to let myself get labeled as a crazy guy for talking about being from the future.

More importantly, I can’t reveal myself at this stage where I can’t make a difference to the overall situation. Considering the tense state of the Sects on the Eastern Continent, there wasn’t a need to bring attention to myself till necessary.

Sitting around and thinking about the past wouldn’t do anything. I needed power and allies who would help me in these plans.

Disciple Retrieval it is. A smile appeared on my lips thinking of that kid.

That day has been imprinted in my memory. The first time I met that boy was after the Disciple Selection Ceremony. The sect rejected him because he came after the ceremony ended. During my return from gathering herbs (The excuse used to skip the ceremony), I happened to see him getting dragged away from the premises. At the time, I still had no disciple, so I took him in.

But, I never knew that this spontaneous decision would take me on a rollercoaster ride with no safety.

Regardless, this time waiting around wasn’t an option. My wish to see that kid again became part of the reason. Right now the only real connection to the regression was the pill he fed me. But, the main reason was something else.

On the way to the sect, his caravan got attacked. He was the only one who survived and came to the sect all bloody. That incident smeared a lot of dirt on our reputation and resulted in a big conflict later on. Overall, a big mess.

Thanks to the regression their plans were within my mind. After changing into another set of white robes and pants. The few things that I’d need were placed in my storage ring. Ready for departure, I stepped towards the bedroom door.

With a black cloak wrapped around my form, and the flying sword appeared from my ring. Made of shimmering silver a sword half an inch thick and half a foot wide hovered before me. Although called a flying sword, it didn’t have a handle or a guard. The general shape of it resembled a blade so the name came about. For me, this was a metal ski used to glide across the sky rather than snow.

Stepping on it my Qi passed through the thing like usual. Yellow lines glowed dimly across the body of the flying sword as the inscriptions activated. Gaining substantial altitude, the sword pointed westwards to face the winds. In that direction the Iron Wood forest of the Rising Sun Dynasty awaited me. The caravan my disciple was in would pass through that forest before it arrives at the Waterfall Outpost.

With the sun glaring at me from the front, I leaned forward to zoom through the air. No sound came as additional lines on the sword lit up to activate the Presence Suppression formation. This paired with the cloak that masked my presence always helped me sneak out of the sect unnoticed. Although one person would know of my departure, he wouldn’t be happy about this like every other time.

However, the token on my waist stayed silent because of the message sent back with Lin Fan. However, even if I didn’t, he couldn’t exactly chase after me just because he wanted to. After all, he had an important position. If he came, a little sermon might be in order, so I hoped he stayed busy.

“I should speed up anyway.” As the unsettling feeling in my stomach became stronger, the journey continued.

***

Iron Wood Forest, Rising Sun Dynasty.

Deep within nature’s embrace a violent brew of emotions welled up destroying the peace and tranquility of the forest that would otherwise stay untouched.

Nine bodies lay across the stone floor of a cave, unmoving. Their forms covered in blood and dirt. Five others dressed in vibrant purple uniforms stood over the scene with their mouths covered with cloth. Yet, their twisted smiles remained clear.

“Wang Yang! Wang Yang, wake up!!” A girl with long black hair shook one of the unconscious boys with a face full of fear and desperation. Her blue silk robe smeared with dirt and blood yet she couldn’t care less.

The boy in her arms had his eyes shut tight. With jet-black hair and sharp facial features, the boy’s body burned like a black pot on fire. The most prominent detail about him was the yellow sun seal on his forehead. The girl shook the boy, but even if she shouted till her throat started to dry, the boy didn’t move a muscle.

“Don’t bother with him. He’s already a corpse, no one can survive that poison.” One of the purple-clad men sneered.

“A foolish mortal. Without any power, he thought he could do something. Attacking us from the front without knowing his place!” The second person came in to kick the boy’s head before looking at the girl who tried to stop it with her arm, “But, we’ve got a nice haul this time. If you comply, maybe we can spare the poor guy’s life. How about that?”

Feeling the slimy gazes that rubbed off her body, the girl glared at them with her sharp green eyes. But, that did nothing but amuse them further. Wang Yang’s breathing had come to a halt. Purple spots started to appear on his hands and feet. Even if she glared at them till her eyes bled, nothing would change. They had no power, but their opponents were full-fledged cultivators.

People like that could crush mortals like them as if they were ants.

Someone… Please help us. All she could do was pray for someone to appear and save them.

6